Sous Vide Lobster Salad | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Sous Vide Lobster Salad with Mango Salsa and Lobster Tempura
Chris Holland Sous Vide Lobster Salad with Mango Salsa and Lobster Tempura Fish and Seafood
- COOK TIME: 1 hour
- PREP TIME: 12 Hours
- DIFFICULTY: Difficult
- SERVES: 2
- 1 lobster, weighing 500g
- 50g of tapioca
- 200ml of shellfish stock, preferably lobster
Mango and Lime Gel
- 500g of mango purée
- 5g of agar agar
- 2 limes, juice only
Mango and Basil Salsa
- 1 mango, ripe
- 1 tsp mango purée
- 6 basil leaves, finely shredded
- 1 lime, juice only
- 250g of Jersey Royal potatoes, washed
- 1 tsp mayonnaise, good quality
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 300g of flour
- 100g of cornflour
- 275ml of sparkling water
- 4 chicory leaves, yellow
- baby basil
- Sous Vide Water Bath
Back to Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Mark Jordan from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- For the lobster cracker, add the tapioca to the shellfish stock and cook for approximately 20 minutes, by which time the tapioca should become translucent. Separate the tapioca and cooking liquid, keeping the cooking liquid for later.
- Add a small amount of the liquid to the tapioca, just enough so that it binds together. Spread this onto a non-sticking baking tray and leave to dry in a dehydrator overnight.
- Once the cracker has dried it should be easy to break up into smaller pieces. Deep-fry the pieces at 180°C until they puff up, this should only take a few seconds. Remove and leave to drain on some kitchen paper. Season with salt.
- For the lobster, start by removing the claws and tail from the head. Next take a skewer and insert it through the tail to make sure it stays straight whilst cooking.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil to blanch the tail and the claws. The tail will only require 2 minutes, whereas the claws will need 5 minutes. Refresh in a bowl of iced water.
- Preheat the water bath to 62°C.
- Separate the lobster tail meat from the shell and discard the intestinal tract. Put the tail onto some cling film and roll into a tight cylinder. Place in the water bath and cook for 12 minutes.
- Crack the claws to remove the meat whole from the shell. Do the same with the knuckles, but roughly chop the meat and leave aside.
- To make the mango and lime gel, first bring the mango purée up to the boil before whisking in the agar agar. Take off the heat and mix in the lime juice. Spread this mixture evenly onto a tray and leave to chill flat.
- Once set, blitz to a smooth consistency in a blender. Use a fine sieve to remove any unwanted bits and leave to one side.
- To make the potato salad, add the potatoes to a saucepan filled with cold salted water and bring up to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for around 8–10 minutes so that the potatoes are just about cooked.
- Drain off the cooking liquid and allow the potatoes to cool. After cooling the potatoes can be peeled and diced into small cubes each measuring 5mm.
- Mix together the potatoes, lobster knuckles, mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt.
- To make the mango and basil salsa, remove the skin from the mango and dice the flesh into 1cm cubes. Stir in the mango purée, shredded basil and lime juice.
- Preheat the deep-fryer to 180°C.
- To make the tempura batter, whisk all the ingredients together. Be careful not to over-whisk as this will give the batter a chewy texture. As soon as you are ready to plate up, cover the lobster claws in batter and cook until crisp and golden in the deep-fryer.
- To plate, drag a spoonful of mango purée through the middle of each plate. Cut the lobster into slices, drizzle with lime juice and top with caviar.
- Place the lobster on top of the mango purée before adding 3 quenelles of potato salad.
- Decorate the potato salad with chicory leaves. Dress the lobster with salsa and finish with the lobster cracker.
- Lastly, slice the base off the lobster claw and stand in the middle of the plate to make a centerpiece. Garnish with micro cresses.