Basic Sous Vide Chicken Breast
- COOK TIME: 3 Hours
- PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- SERVES: Serves 2 (easily multiplies)
- 2 chicken breasts, skin on or boneless,skinless as you prefer
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) butter, divided use 1/2 in the pouch 1/2 for the pan
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Herbes de Provence or dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced, for finishing (optional)
Whats for tea tonight? Struggling for ideas? How about this basic Sous Vide chicken recipe, that is so versatile and delicious you’ll be wondering why you never made it before! What’s more you can serve it with a plethora of accompaniments – the world is your……chicken!
- Fill and preheat your water bath to 63.5C.
- Place 2 chicken breasts into a small (quart/0.9 liter) cooking pouch.
- Add 1/2 the butter, salt, pepper, and herbs to the pouch and seal with your vacuum sealer.
- Place the pouch in the water bath, entirely covering it with water and cook for at least 1 hour, and up to 3 hours.*
- In a frying pan, melt the remaining butter over medium high heat before adding the garlic clove for additional flavour if you so wish. Sear the breasts for about 45 to 60 seconds on each side to give it a golden, caramelized colour on the outside.
- Serve the tender, juicy chicken with accompaniments of your choice – vegetables, salad, chips….the options are endless!
Chef’s tip –
You can use sous vide chicken, unseared, straight from the pouch for chicken salad, to slice for chicken sandwiches, to add to soup or Caesar salad, and in many other dishes.