Vegan Beetroot with Pickled Quince
- COOK TIME: 6 Hours
- PREP TIME: 24 Hours
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 4
- 1 quince, peeled
- 250g of white balsamic vinegar
- 250g of Chardonnay vinegar
- 230g of water
- 1 sprig of lemon verbena
- 4 Cheltenham beetroot
- 25g of olive oil
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 baby golden beetroot
- 1 baby white beetroot
- 16 spinach leaves
- 1 handful of chervil
- olive oil
Back to Recipes
Recipe courtesy of chef Daniel Galmiche from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- To make the pickled quince, combine the white balsamic vinegar, Chardonnay vinegar, water and lemon verbena in a saucepan and heat until the mixture reaches the boil, then allow to cool slightly. Place the quince in a vacuum bag and pour over the warm pickling liquid. Vacuum the bag in a chamber sealer and set aside for 24 hours to pickle.
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 180⁰C/gas mark 4.
- Brush the Cheltenham beetroot with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then arrange on a baking tray and scatter over the thyme.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and cook until the beetroot are heated through but still firm. This should take about 30 minutes. Once cooked, take the tray out of the oven. Set aside to cool a little, then peel the beetroot, reserving the skins, and slice the flesh into thirds.
- In a blender, purée the skins from the Cheltenham beetroot. Place the purée in a covered container and keep warm until ready to serve.
- To make the marinated beetroot, cut the baby beetroot into thin slices. Unseal the vacuum bag containing the quince and remove the fruit, then pour the pickling liquid over the sliced beetroot and leave to marinate.
- Finely dice the pickled quince.
- When you are ready to serve, heat a dash of olive oil in a saucepan, add the spinach leaves and gently sauté until just wilted. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the wilted leaves to season.
- To serve, smear a spoonful or two of beetroot purée over the base of each plate and top with one of the Cheltenham beetroot. Scatter the diced quince and marinated baby beetroot around the plate, add 4 spinach leaves and finish with a garnish of chervil sprigs.