Compressed Tomato with Crab | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Compressed Tomato with Crab, Horseradish Granita and Crab Tuile
- COOK TIME: 2 hours
- PREP TIME: 3 Hours
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 6
Horseradish & Crab filled Tomato
- 300g of white crab meat, picked
- 9 cherry plum tomatoes
- 200g of horseradish sauce
- 400g of whipping cream
- 25ml of lemon juice
- 150g of milk
- 100g of brown crab meat
- 8g of sea salt
- 90g of plain flour
- 1 pinch of chilli flakes
- 65g of unsalted butter, softened
- 20g of sugar
- 45g of egg white
- 1 cucumber, peeled
Recipe courtesy of Kevin Mangeolles from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- For the horseradish cream, begin by thoroughly combining the cream, lemon juice and horseradish sauce. Set aside to infuse for 1 hour. After this the cream should be passed through a fine sieve and left to one side.
- Next thoroughly mix together 350g of this infused horseradish cream with the milk and salt. To create the horseradish granita, start by spreading the mixture evenly onto a tray and place in the freezer to freeze. Run a fork along the frozen mixture so it forms a coarse powder. Freeze again ready for serving.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas mark 2.
- For the crab tuile, blitz all the ingredients together in a food processor and place in the fridge to chill and set for 1 hour. Spread the set mixture into a thin, even layer on a non-stick baking try. Place in the oven for 8–10 minutes until it turns a crisp, golden colour.
- To make the compressed cucumber first cut the cucumber into 12, 1cm thick pieces and season. Place the cucumber pieces into a vacuum bag and seal. Place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Blanch the tomatoes in the water before plunging into iced water to refresh. Peel off the tomato skins and remove the seeds. Keep the seeds to one side for garnishing.
- Combine the white crab meat and 50g of the horseradish cream together to make a filling for the tomatoes. Stuff the tomatoes with the filling and seal in a vacuum bag. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, arrange the stuffed tomatoes on six separate plates and place two pieces of cucumber next to each tomato. Slice off the bottom of the cucumber pieces to keep them upright and add a large spoonful of granita to the middle of each plate. Dot spoonful’s of the tomato seeds over the plate and finish with a garnish of crab tuile pieces.