Compressed Watermelon and King Prawn Curry | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Compressed Watermelon and King Prawn Curry
- COOK TIME: 1 hour
- PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- SERVES: 2
- 1 watermelon
- 100g of butter
- 2 tsp curry powder, mild
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 lemon, halved
- 50g of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 6 king prawns, peeled and deveined
- 2 Maris Piper potatoes, peeled
- oil, for frying
- micro basil
Recipe courtesy of Simon Hulstone from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- Remove the rind from the watermelon. Using a sharp knife, cut the flesh into 2cm thick slices. Lay the slices in a single layer inside a vacuum bag. Use a chamber sealer set on full pressure to seal the bag. This will compress the watermelon.
- Take the compressed watermelon out of the bag and chop into 2cm cubes, avoiding pips wherever possible. You will have some scraps of watermelon left over. Purée these scraps in a blender, then strain through a fine sieve to remove the pips.
- To make the curry sauce, melt a small amount of the butter (approx. 10g) in a saucepan. Add the curry powder and coriander seeds and cook very gently for 2 minutes. Measure out 200ml of watermelon purée and add to the pan. Heat until the liquid is boiling and allow to simmer for a few minutes, then pass the liquid through a fine sieve and leave to cool.
- Place the remaining butter and watermelon purée in a small saucepan over a gentle heat. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Squeeze the lemon and stir the juice into the butter and watermelon mixture. Add salt to taste.
- Preheat a deep-fryer to a temperature of 180⁰C.
- Next, prepare the prawns. Cut the potatoes into long, thin ribbons using a spiralizer and wind these ribbons around the prawns. Using the deep-fryer, cook the potato-covered prawns until golden brown and fully cooked. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- Warm the curry sauce in a small saucepan over a low heat. Gently stir in the watermelon cubes and the chopped coriander to finish the curry.
- To plate, divide the curry between two bowls. Add three crispy prawns to each bowl and top with the micro basil.