Sous Vide Halibut Confit | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Sous Vide Halibut Confit
- COOK TIME: 15 Minutes
- PREP TIME: 15 Minutes
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 4
- 2 Halibut Portions, each 150g, skin off
- 4 fl oz Olive Oil
- 4 Fennel Tops, or Dill Sprigs
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon
- Dill Pollen (optional)
A great alternative to cod or haddock, halibut is firmer in texture and takes on flavours really well. It adds a ‘posh’ feeling to that traditional fish supper.
- Preheat your water oven to 55 degrees
- Remove any ‘blood line’ from the underside of the halibut or ask your fishmonger to do this for you
- Season the halibut on both sides and sprinkle with the dill pollen
- Place the halibut into pouches along with the olive oil, dill sprigs and lemon zest then use the vacuum packer to seal
- Now, put the sealed pouches into your water oven for 15 minutes
- Keep checking to make sure the water is covering the pouches
- Check the halibut after 12 minutes, if you like a softer texture then remove now and let the halibut rest – if you prefer a firmer texture, leave the halibut for 18 minutes and then check
- Remove the halibut from the pouch and pat dry with kitchen towel. Serve immediately
The halibut portions can be finished in a hot pan to give a roasted flavour.
Chef’s Tip –
Try replacing the oil with milk to keep the halibut white.