How to Make Ice Cream Sous Vide | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
How to Make Ice Cream Sous Vide
- COOK TIME: 1 hour
- PREP TIME: 30 minutes
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- 250ml of milk
- 250ml of double cream
- 100g of sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
Making your own ice cream offers a fantastic opportunity to get creative with flavours but cooking a traditional ice cream base on a stove top can be tricky. The mixture of milk, cream, sugar and egg yolks can catch on the bottom of the saucepan or curdle if it gets too hot. You can avoid these problems by cooking your ice cream mixture sous vide. In this method, the temperature stays consistent so there is no danger of overcooking. You can also make the ice cream base in advance and keep it sealed inside the vacuum bag until you are ready to churn and freeze it.
- Preheat the water bath to a temperature of 85⁰C.
- Using a hand blender, whisk the sugar, egg yolks and vanilla seeds into the milk.
- Gently mix in the cream using a smooth stirring action. Make sure that you do not whip the cream.
- Pour the mixture into a large vacuum bag. Seal the bag and place in the water bath. Leave to cook for 60 minutes. Move the bag around every now and then during cooking to agitate the mixture.
- Take the bag out of the water bath and immediately submerge it in iced water.
- When the bag is completely cold, pour the cream mixture into bowl. Mix thorough with a hand blender, then tip into an ice cream machine and churn.
Leave out the vanilla seeds and experiment with flavourings of your choice. You could go for traditional favourites like strawberry or chocolate. Alternatively, for something more unusual, try adding whiskey, orange zest, cinnamon or lemon thyme to your mixture.
Try using this method to make Matthew Tomkinson’s decadent Coffee ice cream or Anna Hansen’s moreish Honeycomb ice cream. If you fancy something a little different, you might like to try Alfred Prasad’s Fennel and ginger ice cream, which has a real kick of fiery flavour.
Recipe courtesy of www.greatbritishchefs.com