Key Lime Pie Sous Vide Style! | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Key Lime Pie Sous Vide Style!
For the Key Lime filling
- 118ml key lime juice, from fresh key limes
- 396g can sweetened, condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
For the crust
- 1 teaspoon (5g) butter, to grease the tin
- 6 tablespoons ( 85g ) butter, melted
- 150g graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons (30g) granulated white sugar
For the topping
- 118ml heavy whipping cream
- 2 extra key limes for decorating
Now it is nearly weekend it must be time to treat yourself to something naughty, but nice, right? We can’t think of a better idea than this delicious looking Key Lime Pie – you’ll need to be quick before it is all eaten!
- Fill and preheat your water bath to 180F/82C.
- Whisk all the filling ingredients together into a medium-sized bowl, until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch, and use the displacement method (Archimedes’ principle) to remove the air and zip the seal closed.
- Submerge the pouch in the water bath to cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the graham cracker crust. Grease an 8 inch (20 cm) round spring form pan/tin with a little butter.
- In a large bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter with spoon.
- Press the crust mixture evenly into the base of the prepared pan/tin, using the back of a spoon.
- Put the crust into the refrigerator to harden.
- After thirty minutes cooking, remove the filling from the water bath and massage the contents through the pouch to ‘stir’.
- Open the pouch and pour the key lime filling onto the hardened graham cracker crust.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for about thirty minutes then refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
To decorate the Key Lime pie:
- Beat the heavy whipping cream to soft peaks.
- Put the whipped cream into a piping bag with a medium tip/nozzle.
- Pipe small circles of cream around the edge of the pie and one large circle in the center.
- Arrange thin slices of key lime on top of the pie.