Orange and Vanilla Rhubarb Pavlovas | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Orange and Vanilla Rhubarb Pavlovas
- COOK TIME: 3 hrs
- PREP TIME: 30 mins
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 6
For the Rhubarb:
- 300 grams of rhubarb
- 3 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- 1 Vanilla pod (deseeded)
For the Mini Pavlovas:
- 250g aquafaba (chickpea water)
- 280g caster sugar, sieved
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ⅓ tsp cream of tartar
For the Topping:
- 260ml whippable plant cream (oat, soy or coconut)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 vanilla pod, scraped or 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
- chopped pistachios
- Edible flowers, optional
A really simple recipe from Bettina Campolucci Bordi, that shows off seasonal ingredients and also happens to make use of waste (aquafaba). It’s slightly time-consuming but very well worth it and all components can be made ahead so that you simply just have to assemble. Follow Bettina for more tasty recipes on her Instagram account @bettinas_kitchen.
For the Nests:
- Start by preheating the oven to 110ºC. Whip up the aquafaba using an electric whisk until stiff peaks are formed, this will take around 10 to 15 minutes. Then very gradually whisk in the sugar.
- Slowly add the cornflour and cream of tartar and make sure everything is mixed well together. Draw six small circles on 1 big tray, lined with greaseproof paper, and pour the mixture onto both circles and spread out.
- Place in the oven and cook for 1.5 – 2 hours until completely cooked / dried out.
For the Rhubarb:
- Preheat your iVide to 60ºC. Wash and cut the rhubarb into bite size pieces (can do zig zag if you wish), about 5 cm long.
- Place the rhubarb in an even layer into a vac pac bag with sugar, orange zest, vanilla seeds and pod. Seal under vacuum.
- Add the bag to the water bath and leave to cook for 40 to 50 minutes. You can leave it for longer if you want the rhubarb to break down more. To check if the rhubarb is cooked, give the bag a gentle squeeze (careful as the bag will be hot), the rhubarb should be soft to the touch. Remove and allow to cool.
For the Cream:
- Whip the cream (I like using oat) to soft peaks, before adding the maple syrup, orange zest and vanilla.
- Add a pavlova to a plate, then add some cream followed by the rhubarb. Top off with pistachios and edible flowers.