Sous Vide Fennel Salad | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Sous Vide Fennel and Orange Quinoa Salad
- COOK TIME: 45 Minutes
- PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- SERVES: 2
Quinoa and fennel salad
- 100g of quinoa
- 500ml of vegetable stock
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into eighths
- 50ml of orange juice
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 2 tbsp of pomegranate seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp of lemon vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
Toasted pine nuts
- 2 tsp pine nuts
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of tahini
- 20ml of lemon juice
- 50ml of olive oil
- 6 orange segments
- nasturtium leaves
- coriander cress
Recipe courtesy of chef Shaun Rankin from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- First, cook the quinoa. Place the quinoa in a medium saucepan and pour over the vegetable stock. Heat until the stock reaches the boil, then simmer until the quinoa is cooked al dente. This should take about 15 minutes. Once cooked, take the pan off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the water bath to a temperature of 85⁰C.
- To prepare the fennel, seal the fennel wedges inside a vacuum bag with the orange juice and the saffron. Place the bag in the water bath and leave to cook for 20 minutes.
- Unseal and drain the vacuum bag. Lay the cooked fennel in a hot frying pan. Cook over a high heat until browned on one side, then turn over and brown the other side. Add the seared fennel to the quinoa and mix in the pomegranate seeds, toasted sesame seeds and chopped coriander.
- Prepare a lemon dressing for the salad by thoroughly combining the olive oil and lemon vinegar in a small bowl. Drizzle a small amount of dressing over the quinoa, followed by a sprinkling of salt and pepper, and mix well. Taste the salad to check the flavour and seasoning. If desired, add a little more dressing.
- To make the toasted pine nuts, warm a frying pan over a low heat. Scatter the pine nuts over the base of the pan and fry gently until lightly toasted all over. To season, add a pinch of salt to the pan and shake vigorously.
- Just before serving, make the tahini dressing. Place the tahini, lemon juice and olive oil in a small bowl and mix together using a whisk.
- To serve, spoon an equal amount of quinoa and fennel salad onto each plate. Scatter the toasted pine nuts, orange segments, nasturtium leaves and coriander cress over the salad, then finish the dish with a drizzle of tahini dressing.