Sous Vide Paleo Salmon | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Paleo Organic Salmon with Lime and Steamed Greens
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- PREP TIME: 5 minutes
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- SERVES: 4
- 4 x 200g organic salmon portions
- Sea salt
- Zest of 2 limes
- 1 tsp chopped dill
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g baby spinach, washed
- 3 heads Chinese bok choy, cored and washed
- 1 bunch wild feather asparagus
As the paleo diet continues to grow in popularity, we wanted to highlight how sous vide cooking methods can simplify this change in lifestyle.
Following on from our What is Paleo and is it For You? article, we are reviewing our favourite paleo recipe books and transforming one using sous vide equipment. This week, we look at It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig.
It Starts With Food is a powerful nutritional reset which follows a Whole30 programme. Dallas and Melissa describe the science behind the theories and make sure the concept is easily accessible for a range of readers.
A great feature of the book is the no nonsense approach; Melissa and Dallas don’t hide away from the struggles of this lifestyle change and do a good job of highlighting how difficult it can get.
However, alongside tough love and wit, the book is full of positive reassurance and recipes that highlight the positive changes you see after making the change to your diet; both long term benefits and improvements to your health and wellbeing.
It Starts With Food has plenty of vibrant and flavoursome recipes, including their Cajun Crab Cakes and Sweet Potato Hash. We wanted to keep our recipe variation in line with the level of flavour and range of health benefits the book delivers, which is why we opted for a salmon dish.
Salmon is a great source of protein and has a range of different health benefits, which is why it is a popular fish for those following the Paleo diet. It is also ideal for sous vide cooking methods as it requires the precision and reliability that sous vide machines can guarantee.
Our salmon is complemented by fresh and zingy limes and fragrant steamed greens; inspired by the amazing ingredients on the Whole30 programme shopping list.
- Preheat your water bath at 48 degrees
- On a board, season the salmon portions with sea salt and sprinkle with the chopped dill
- Evenly dust the flesh of the salmon with the lime zest and brush lightly with olive oil
- In 4 separate pouches, individually vacuum seal the salmon and place in the preheated bath for around 30 minutes, allowing the salmon to gently poach
- Whilst the salmon is cooking, prepare a steamer. When the salmon has 5 minutes left, place the greens in the steamer basket
- Take the fish out of the pouches and serve on top of the steamed greens
- Top Tip: transform your greens by seasoning them with a little salt, olive oil and lime juice
- Serve immediately
This recipe is the perfect meal for spring evenings and shows how easy it is to combine the Paleo diet with sous vide cooking methods.