Sous Vide Salted Cod, Avocado and Sea Vegetables | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Sous Vide Salted Cod, Avocado, Sea Vegetables and Cucumber
Chris Holland Sous Vide Salted Cod, Avocado, Sea Vegetables and Cucumber Fish and Seafood
- COOK TIME: 1 Hour
- PREP TIME: 1 hour
- SERVES: 4
- 1 cod belly, large, skinned
- 500g of salt
- 50ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 avocados, ripe
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 100ml of sunflower oil
- ½ cucumber, peeled
- sea salt
Puffed Wild Rice
- 50g of wild rice
- 500ml of vegetable oil
- sea vegetables
- 1 lemon
Back to Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Paul Foster from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- Spread the salt over the cod belly, ensuring that the fish is well covered. Leave to cure for 10-12 minutes.
- To make the avocado emulsion, purée the avocados in a blender with the egg yolks and lemon juice. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and gradually whisk in the sunflower oil a little bit at a time. When all the oil has been added and the mixture has formed a smooth emulsion, add salt to taste.
- Preheat the water oven to a temperature of 48⁰C.
- Thoroughly rinse the cod in cold water to remove the salt, then dry using kitchen paper. Seal inside a vacuum bag with the olive oil. Use a chamber sealer set to full pressure to do this.
- Place the bag in the water oven and leave to cook sous vide for 10 minutes, after which time the cod should be just cooked.
- Prepare the cucumber by slicing it into quarters and cutting out the seeds. Sprinkle sea salt over the pieces. Leave for 10 minutes then slice into pieces 2cm in length.
- To make the puffed wild rice, heat the oil in a deep-sided saucepan until it reaches a temperature of 210⁰C. Alternatively, preheat a deep-fryer to this temperature. Add the rice and fry until puffy and golden.
- Rinse the sea vegetables in cold water, then plunge into boiling water to blanch. When the vegetables are done to your liking, take them out of the boiling water and submerge in cold water to stop them cooking.
- To serve, break the cod into large flakes and place some on each plate. Place dots of the avocado emulsion and pieces of cucumber in between the cod flakes and scatter the wild rice and sea vegetables over the top. Finish with a grating of lemon zest and serve.