Soy-glazed chicken rice bowl with Japanese cucumber pickles
- COOK TIME: 1 hour 5 mins
- PREP TIME: 5 mins
- SERVES: 2
4 boneless chicken thighs
25ml of dark soy sauce
25ml of light soy sauce
25ml of honey
1 garlic clove crushed
15ml of sesame oil
1/2 cucumber, sliced into thin rounds
10ml of sesame oil
50ml of rice vinegar
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of chilli flakes (optional)
A great recipe from our friend Storm Ashdown, she’s cooking up all manner of deliciousness on her Instagram account, drop by and give her a follow @whatstormeats
We asked Storm for something that could be a go to dish for midweek supper, no bells or whistles just great food with minimal effort and this is her take on that.
The chicken thighs on this one could easily be batch cooked in advance so you just need to do the rice and pickles on the day. Cooking sous vide means the thighs stay perfectly juicy! Make extra of the pickles – they are utterly addictive!
- In advance of cooking your chicken, place the chicken thighs in a vacuum bag and add the ingredients for the marinade. You can do this overnight for optimal flavour results or up to an hour before cooking. Once sealed, place the chicken in the water bath at 74 degrees for 1 hour.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, slice the cucumber and add into a vacuum bag with the other ingredients. Vacuum seal until you are ready to serve.
- 5 minutes before the chicken is ready, prepare your rice for serving.
- Once the chicken has finished, take the thighs out of the bag, retaining the cooking liquor. In a non-stick pan, place the thighs skin side down so they crisp up. Fry the chicken on both sides for evening colouring and then add the cooking liquor into the pan. Reduce on a high heat for a couple of minutes until sticky.
- Plate up by serving the sliced thigh over fluffy rice, pouring over that deliciously sticky and sweet pan sauce and the quick pickled cucumbers with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Recipe by Storm Ashdown @whatstormeats