No waste – Banana and Cocoa Nib flavoured ice cubes using cryo-concentration
- COOK TIME: 12 HRS
- PREP TIME: 24 HRS
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- 500mls of water
- 300g banana skins
- 40g cocoa nibs
- 1 dried and used vanilla pod
- Pure rum over the ice cubes
- Dehydrated banana crisps
- Pre-heat your water bath to 60°C
- Place the ingredients into a vacuum pouch and seal.
- Place the pouch into the water bath for 12 hours until infused.
- Carefully remove the pouch from the bath and set aside to cool.
- Using a fine mesh sieve strain the liquid and Freeze in a strong plastic bag, preferably inside a bowl, until it is solid. Twenty-four hours should be good but the longer the better to grow the ice crystals
- Break it up into a crystalline slurry with a hammer whilst still in the plastic bag (but not in the bowl, of course. Therefore, the bag needs to be quite robust.
- Fruit juice does not freeze as hard as water so ‘slurrifying’ is easier than you would think.
- Put the crushed slurry in a sieve, over a bowl and put in the fridge to thaw slowly. Doing it in the fridge is important because you want the whole thing to thaw very slowly and evenly
- Leave it until you judge the extract to be about the right strength.
- Freeze the cryoconcentrated liquid in icecube trays.
- Once frozen and ready to serve simply pour rum over icecube and serve