Strawberry Fields Forever Compressed Strawberries
- COOK TIME: 20
- PREP TIME: 10
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- SERVES: 8
150ml vodka (37.5% abv)
50ml Creme de Cacao (20% abv)
50g Demerara Sugar
1 tsp roughly cracked black peppercorns
1 Punnet Quartered and Hulled Strawberries
Simon from The Blind Bus Driver Kendal has been busy creating some cracking little cocktails experimenting with compressed fruit garnishes and was kind enough to let us share them with you. This one needs a chamber vacuum packer to achieve the compression.
- Put all the ingredients except the strawberries into a pouch and seal.
- Pre-heat sous vide device to 60 degrees C
- Once to temperature add to the bath for 20 minutes. Give it a shake every 5 minutes to dissolve the sugar and better infuse the pepper.
- Chill in iced water. Will store in the fridge for a month.
- Wash and quarter the strawberries and remove the hulls.
- Put appropriate quantity of strawberries so they can be covered with the syrup in a pouch and divide the syrup between the pouches.
- Vacuum Seal on a Extended Seal The strawberries will turn translucent and become more jelly-like in consistency.
- Once infused and compressed the strawberries are good only for about 36 hours, after which they break down pretty quickly. If they
go too soft to use just press them through an Aeropress with a stainless steel filter and use as a cocktail syrup with Champagne or Sweet Vermouth and ice.
Simon added his compressed strawberries to a Rum cocktail made using the left over strawberry liquor, rum, sweet vermouth and bitters stirred over ice